Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file wit

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: tramp (2.5.1.3 nil/nil); emacs-28.0.50: Can't copy a 1.4 MB file with the plinkx method
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:52:14 +0200

> "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>>> See also the docstring of that variable.
>>
>> Unfortunately I can't apply your test because we only have password
>> access to theses machines (I'm fighting already since two weeks that IT
>> reconfigures that machine for keyfile access.)
>
> It's a pity, yes. I still believe it is a problem of your remote host,
> but we need to access it in order to check. Anyway, it seems to be an
> old machine, according to its GNU/Linux version:
>
>> 13:26:54.440669 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"`uname -sr`\" 2>/dev/null;
>> echo tramp_exit_status $?
>> 13:26:54.446724 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) #
>> "Linux 3.10.0-1160.36.2.el7.x86_64"

It's a machine running on Amazon's AWS some ordered only this year.  But
our IT has ordered RHEL 7, which is quite old.  I don't know the reason,
probably price or maintenance fees...

> Do you have another GNU/Linux machine, where you could copy this file
> to? Just for test?

Sure, I can use my private Debian server.

> Otherwise, my best recommendation for now is too live with the pscp
> method.

Yes, but maybe we'll find the root course of the plinkx problem. :-)

> Btw, if you have a recent SSH client on your Windows machine, you could
> also try the Tramp sshx or scpx methods. Some weeks ago, I've made some
> changes to support them, OpenSSH 7.9 shall be sufficient. See
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_overview>.

But when it is an openssh implementation why do you need to distinct ssh
and sshx?  Doesn't the MS version know to use ~/.ssh/config?

> I have installed
>
> C:\Users\albinus>ssh -V
> OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2

On my Windows machine is openSSH already installed.  I'll have a look
and report the results next week.

    Dieter

PS: I lately copied some 250 images from a remote (Linux) server to my
local machine (Linux).  The files ranged from 1 MB to 60 MB.  After a
certain size (I think around 10 MB) Tramp is asking if one really wants
to copy such a large file.  Is there a custom variable to avoid such
queries?  Or couldn't you implement these nifty questions like ""yes
[y], no [n], yes to all [!]"?  Otherwise one has to wait for the whole
series to confirm the copying of individual files...

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm