sftp access failure (again)

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: sftp access failure (again)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 21:17:56 +0100

Hi Michael,

I'm unable to access a remote site via sftp using Tramp.  It's the same
site I've had Tramp problems with several time over the last few years
-- and each time you've been able to fix the problem, so I'm hoping that
happens now too!  The site administrators have recently restricted
external access to the site via VPN tunnel only, and this works for me
with sftp from shell, but with Tramp I get "tramp-handle-access-file (1)
# Cannot access file or directory: Reading directory: Permission
denied".  The directory in question is three levels down, and I can
access the two higher levels via Tramp, only the third level (which is
where my personal data is) is inaccessible.  One difference between
using sftp in the shell and using Tramp is that with the former, I
explicitly enter my password, while Tramp accesses my password from my
~/.authinfo file.  I've attached a gzipped level 6 Tramp debug trace.

Thanks,
Steve Berman