Re: auth-source source password lookup for ssh + sudo

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: auth-source source password lookup for ssh + sudo
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 18:39:26 +0100

Kai Tetzlaff <tramp@tetzco.de> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Kai,

> 2. /ssh:host.example.com|sudo::/etc/passwd
>
>    a. now there is only a password prompt without any auth-source
>       lookup attempt:
>
>           `Password for /sudo:host.example.com: `
>
>    => Not sure, but it might make sense to start an auth-source lookup
>       for just hostname/port instead of skipping it completely (for
>       my own use case this would not make a difference since I don't
>       store host (only) passwords).

Same here. It *should* use auth-source-search first. Will investigate.

> Now, the question is if this can just be added to TRAMP as it does
> change existing behavior. From my perspective it is a clear improvement
> and the current implementation could be considered as a bug. What do you
> think?

Of course it shall go into Tramp, otherwise I wouldn't have worked on it :-)

I have pushed everything to Tramp and Emacs repositories, master
branch. I have also added some few words to the Tramp manual.

Since it is changed behavior, I don't plan to bring it to stable branches.