trans-coord-devel

Re: Make GNUN more user-friendly

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Make GNUN more user-friendly
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:25:48 +0000

On 08/28/2013 01:50 PM, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
> Le mercredi 28 août 2013 à 11:01 +0000, Ineiev a écrit :
>
>> Yes. I think it would be useful to finalize it in a script or a page
>> of documentation.
>
> I do have a small script which does that. The only problem is, when
> there is a new French translation, the po, pot and html have to be
> checked out separately so that cvs can update them.

Doesn't 'cvs up $new_file' work?

>>  > When
>>  > a translated page is regenerated locally, the POT is often regenerated
>>  > as well,
>>
>> This sounds like a bug. do you know how to reproduce it?
>
> This happened most of (all?) the time before I started restoring www
> after a validation, quite a few months ago. I could try again after
> reinstalling what's needed to use the "big" GNUmakefile.

Then probably it doesn't worth trying.

>> Ideally, validation errors should be fixed in www;
> [...]
>
> I don't quite agree. Correcting errors after GNUN reports them on
> trans-coord-discuss (if this is what you mean)

I assumed the context of broken headers; I meant that the user
should commit a fix rather than exclude them from validation.

> I agree that the configuration should be done beforehand. It shouldn't
> be part of the script.
> While we are at it, why not make a nice-looking deb out of all that, and
> use Debconf?

To tell the truth, I don't clearly understand what "all" is, what
Debconf is, and...

> Too bad for the other distribs.

I guess so.

> For the validation itself, the interactivity usually amounts to clicking
> an icon in my dashboard, then pushing "ctr-x" after checking in nano
> that the list is correct, then choosing "1" for the commit message, all
> within a few seconds.
> If there is only one PO, I enter it in the command line, then choose
> anything but 1, 2 and 3 and write the commit message as usual.

Yes, and I don't feel that this interactivity is really useful (it may
be just a matter of habits); for example, why the list may need
checking at all? what is the point of always choosing "1"?

> Now, I did write very small programs in Fortran for an IBM 18OO
> Sounds ancient, doesn't it ?  :)

No. to sound ancient, one should use a ternary numeral system
and single level language.