[VM] emacs-w3m customization

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: [VM] emacs-w3m customization
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:23:55 +0100

Many of us use the emacs-w3m package for viewing html messages. The VM interface for emacs-w3m was originally done by Katsumi Yamaoka and revised by Rob F. But it is pretty old, and hasn't been touched for a while. I see plenty of incompatibilities in the way VM works and how emacs-w3m has been set up as a helper.

To give just one example, the UP and DOWN arrow keys in normal VM buffers are bound to next-line and previous-line, but in emacs-w3m they seem to be bound to w3m-next-anchor and w3m-previous-anchor (essentially moving to the next/previous hyperlinks). That is a serious incompatibility.

For MIME messages, VM has the setting `vm-auto-displayed-mime-content-types' for deciding which content-types to display automatically. But emacs-w3m presumably has its own settings for the automatic display of images etc., which may not correspond to VM settings.

I wonder if somebody can volunteer to read through the emacs-w3m manual and figure out all the settings and customizations that VM should control. Then we can either put them in the manual so that people know what settings to set, or just set them directly inside VM before firing up emacs-w3m.

Cheers,
Uday