Re: [VM] Default account for imap

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Default account for imap
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:23:48 +0100

blueman writes:

> I agree that pre-filling it in as the default is helpful in terms of
> saving typing but is it really necessary from a simplicity/cleanliness
> perspective. In other words, I would prefer a behavior that assumed the
> default server (maybe not even a need for a colon at all) unless
> otherwise specified.

Sorry, I absolutely don't agree with this "cleanliness" claim.  People can
have many imap accounts and, in addition, local folders, and they can use
the same folder names in all of them.  The place where the folder exists is
an important part of its identity.  I have no inclination to brush under the
carpet the differences that exist and that should be noted/remembered.

In fact, the problem for many of us has been quite the opposite.  We have
had users that said they have 10 different "inbox" folders and they can't
keep track of which is which.  So, I added a tweak so that "inbox" folder
buffers are named by their account names inside Emacs.

> This is obviously not a big deal, ...

Exactly.  So let us drop it.

Cheers,
Uday