Re: [VM] Accessing large IMAP folders

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Accessing large IMAP folders
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:24:43 +0100

Dear Stefan,

If you use any of the pre-releases of VM 8.2.0 or the trunk on Launchpad,
there are ways of maintaining IMAP cache folders with only message headers
loaded and message bodies maintained externally.

In the latest pre-release (8.2.0b), you do this by setting

   (setq vm-enable-external-messages '(imap))
   (setq vm-imap-max-message-size 1000)  ; download small messages by default

You can also set the max-message-size to 0, in which case no message bodies
will be downloaded by default.

I envisage that, down the road, we will make external-message feature work
for other modes of remote access as well, e.g., POP, maildir etc.

To get rid of the message bodies that are already downloaded, you can use
`O' (vm-unload-message).  You can mark the messages that you want to unload
and then do `M N O'.

Cheers,
Uday