Re: [VM] gmail issue

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] gmail issue
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:28:16 +0000

Uday Reddy writes:

> When I send a message to the viewmail-info mailing list from this email
> account (address@hidden) I don't get a copy of the message back to
> the account.  I don't recall this happening a few months ago.

I have done some testing to find out what gmail is doing.  As we know, gmail
doesn't have folders.  All your messages go into a single message-base, and
folders are a front for the different labels that one might put on the
messages in this single message-base.

If you use the IMAP-FCC header to put your outgoing messages in some folder
(say "Sent") then, when a regular copy of your message arrives, gmail
recognizes that it is already there in your message-base and silently drops
the new copy.  If you don't use IMAP-FCC, then it seems that the new copies
do arrive in your INBOX.

The easiest way to get around the difficulty is to combine your INBOX and
Sent folder into a single virtual folder.  Here is what you might put in
your .vm file:

(defun gmail-folder (folder)
  "Short hand function for referring to gmail folders."
  (format "imap-ssl:imap.gmail.com:993:%s:login:YOUR-LOGIN-ID:*" folder))

(add-to-list 'vm-virtual-folder-alist
  `("gmail"
    (
     ,(list (gmail-folder "INBOX") (gmail-folder "Sent"))
     (any))))

(defun gmail ()
  "Visit the combined gmail INBOX & Sent folders."
  (interactive)
  (vm-visit-virtual-folder "gmail"))

Then doing `M-x gmail' should show you the combined INBOX and Sent folders.

Cheers,
Uday