Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:18:10 +0000

Yoshiharu Kohayakawa writes:

> When I receive a message with non-ascii characters and read it with
> VM, the non-ascii characters don't show properly, and I see their
> octal code.  A screen shot is available at
>
>   http://www.ime.usp.br/~yoshi/TMP/VM
>
> The problem happens in presentation mode with text/plain messages.

The first thing to check would be what happens with the default settings.
Rename your .vm file to something else, restart Emacs/VM and visit the
folder.  If it works, then you need to narrow down which setting in your .vm
file is problematic.  If you are just upgrading from 7.19, then there might
have been quite a few changes since then.  Please read through the NEWS file
for the list of all the changes and new features.

> One more thing: non-ascii characters are also shown in octal in my
> summary buffers, when they are in the subject line of the messages.

This sounds more serious.  Please check the value of
`enable-multibyte-characters' in the Summary buffer.  Its value should be
`t'.

You might need to worry about bad settings in your .emacs file as well.

Cheers,
Uday