Re: [VM] Old bug in "vm-8.2.0b"

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Old bug in "vm-8.2.0b"
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:45:43 +0100

Dr Rainer Woitok writes:

> Writing a mail and attaching a  PDF document to it  looks nice, the grey
> button line denoting the attachment starts with a cute paper clip to the
> left followed  by a  textual  description  of the  attachment in  square
> brackets.
>
> After sending off the mail it is stored in my  inbox, and there the grey
> button line  denoting the attachment looks sort  of ugly: the cute paper
> clip  is   missing   altogether,  and   the  textual   description  says
> "[Unknown/Bad PNG image encoding]PDF: <file name>, [display]".

I am sorry.  This problem report is confusing.

Are you saying that reading a message with a PDF attachment gives the
problem?  Or, does this have something to do with sending mail?

In any case, I don't see any problems with attachment buttons using:

  21.5  (beta31) "ginger"  XEmacs Lucid (i586-pc-win32)

It is likely that you are using an out-of-date version of XEmacs.  Please
upgrade it.

You might also try setting `vm-imagemagick-convert-program' to nil or
`vm-mime-thumbnail-max-geometry' to nil to disable the images in attachment
buttons.

> Back when I was still using "vm-8.1.1" I did a lot of googling and found
> several other people having the same complaints.  I even found a comment
> by  you, dated 2011-02-04  and sugesting this  having  to do with coding
> systems.  You even offered the following  patch then (even though not in
> the "git" format used by me below):

This fix has been incorporated in the standard VM now.  So, no need to apply
this patch.

> 2. "vm-mime-display-button-image" (used when reading mail):
>
>    - First calls "vm-mime-frob-image-xxxx"  which in  turn calls several
>      other  functions to insert a PNG  into the extent.  For some reason
>      this fails, leaving the "[Unknown/Bad  PNG image encoding]" message
>      in the extent.  One other essential  thing this function does, how-
>      ever, is to set the disposition of the layout to "inline".  If this
>      is not done, later middle-clicking the button will fail.

I am not sure what is meant by "this fails" and which function fails.
Please attach a backtrace at the point of the error if you can.

It is likely that some external program or the image file is bad.  All I can
do is to make VM resilient so that it continues normally regardless.  For me
to do so, you need to state the problem behaviour as precisely as possible!

Cheers,
Uday