Re: [VM] Problem running vm-8.09 / XEmacs 21.1.3 Solaris SPARC

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Problem running vm-8.09 / XEmacs 21.1.3 Solaris SPARC
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:47:49 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hi you brainy lot, :) I'd appreciate your solutions.  Thanks & regards.
>
> Goal:     Sort unix mbox into chronological order, removing duplicates
> Platform: Sun/Oracle SPARC Solaris 10 or 11
> Done:  1. Installed latest binary xemacs-21.1.3-sparc-sun-solaris2.6.tar.gz
>        2. Installed xemacs-all-packages.tar.gz containing vm-8.09
>        3. Launched XEmacs > Apps > Read Mail (VM).  Result:-

Given that you are only interested in getting your mbox back into shape
rather than the long-term use of VM, your best bet is to install

- GNU Emacs version 23.x
- a compiled binary of a recent VM version from here:

  https://launchpad.net/vm/+download

As people have remarked, the latest beta version, vm-8.2.0b should work
fine.

If the compiled binary doesn't work for you, you can also get the source
version and compile it for yourself.  The INSTALL file gives instructions
for building it.

The recent versions will have a function called
vm-delete-duplicate-messages, which removes duplicate copies, using the
message id for identification.  But, note that this function selects the
*first* copy of each message (as seen in the mbox) and deletes the later
copies.  You might need to double check that the copies it retains are the
good ones before expunging the other copies.

Cheers,
Uday