Re: [VM] Using VM for 19 years, still can't solve "iconv: (stdin):21:31:

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Using VM for 19 years, still can't solve "iconv: (stdin):21:31: cannot convert"
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:30:21 +0000

edburns writes:

> On Monday, October 28, 2013 8:22:54 AM UTC-7, Uday Reddy wrote:
>
> > If you pick up the current beta version of XEmacs, you probably won't need
> >
> > iconv.  It will know how to deal with MIME character sets.
>
> If I download the current beta and build from source, is the VM in there?

There is always a VM package in XEmacs, but I can't say how old it might be.
XEmacs/VM users are even more passive than Gnu Emacs/VM users.  There is
nobody willing to take the time to package up a current VM for XEmacs.  What
can I say?

If VM is an important part of your life (it something like 20-50% of my
life), then you want to have total control over which VM version you use and
how it is installed.  The only way to get such control is to install it
yourself.  You cannot depend on somebody else to do it, especially when they
are all unpaid volunteers contributing their spare time.

Cheers,
Uday