[VM] vm 8.1.1 and emacs 24 (make-local-hook)

From: Reinhard Kotucha
Subject: [VM] vm 8.1.1 and emacs 24 (make-local-hook)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:14:28 +0100

Hi, I'm using VM 8.1.1 with Emacs 23 for a while without any problems.
When I switch to Emacs 24 I get a complaint that the function
make-local-hook is void.

The Emacs 24 NEWS file states:

 | ** The following obsolete functions and aliases have been removed
 | (the appropriate new function is given in parentheses; "not needed"
 | means you can just remove all calls to the function in question):
 |
 | [stuff omitted]
 | *** `make-local-hook' (not needed)
 | [stuff omitted]

According to "grep -r make-local-hook ./vm/*" it's still used in some
places.  It doesn't occur in Emacs-24's top-level lisp directory.  In
some subdirectories it's still present, but I see that there are some
functions called "gnus-make-local-hook" or "mh-make-local-hook".  I
suppose that they are supposed to sustain the same functionality under
another name.  Maybe something like "vm-make-local-hook" is needed as
a workaround...

However, I'm not urged to switch to Emacs 24 in the near future.  I'm
perfectly satisfied with Emacs 23.  But on the other hand I'm
maintaining an Emacs+AucTeX distribution for Windows on CTAN,
containing Emacs-24 for a while, and it's a bit awkward if I can't use
the same version of Emacs on my Linux machine at home.

After all, Uday, many thanks to you for your work and to all who have
contibuted, one way or another.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25