Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:29:22 -0500

As I really understand it, isn't part of the problem that Emacs
buffers are limited to something like 256Mb, so we're also hitting
some of those limits with big folders?

And I don't have as big a system as that, and for me the key advante
of VM is that I can edit in my favorite editor, and it's fast.  It
works well over SSH and inside screen.

It's just now thatI really want to setup IMAPS for my email (I run my
own domain, so this is both learning and paranoia calling me!) so I
can see the darn images inside emails I get from time to time.

I've got over 2500 mail folders, some with over 2000 messages from the
past 20+ years.  VM is plenty fast, easy to search with (though I
admit I do NOT do virtual folders at all...)

So I'm not really excited about leaving VM, but IMAP support is
becoming more and more important to me, and so far, Mutt does the best
job.  It's fast, powerful and works well inside SSH.

And I really feel that development has stalled.  There hasn't been a
release in years now.  I've asked Uday to just post whatever he has,
but that hasn't happened.  I understand his desire to not put out
buggy code, but maybe that's what needs to happen.

So right now I'm slowly, oh so slowly... writing the .muttrc file with
the VM keybindings that I need so as to make my transition as painless
as possible.  It will never be perfect, but good enough will be fine I
think.

John