Re: [VM] Incorrectly encoded non-ASCII headers

From: Yeechang Lee
Subject: Re: [VM] Incorrectly encoded non-ASCII headers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:16:19 -0800

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> says:
> What character set are the headers in?

From Wikipedia:

From The New York Times:

From Open Library

From Soap.com (subject incorrectly displayed in summary, but
correctly displayed in presentation buffer. Only one in which Unicode
is not involved.):

I can send the messages as attachments off-list if helpful.

PS - On reflection, of the choices I earlier mentioned:

> could VM gain the ability to assume that the body's encoding style
> in a message also applies to the headers? An alternative would be to
> assume that headers are 8-bit clean unless RFC 2047-style quoting
> appears

I suspect that the second is preferable, as amended:

> Assume that human-readable headers are 8-bit clean and in UTF-8
> unless RFC 2047-style quoting appears

Setting aside cases in which the encoding header is incorrect, I'm
pretty sure I've seen messages in which header and body encodings
don't match.

Perhaps the above should apply to the body as well? (Or does it
already? I have one in my folder of test messages I've received over
the years in which Content-Type: only says "text/plain;", nothing
else, despite Unicode in the body. VM displays the message correctly
in Emacs 23.)

--
geo:37.783333,-122.416667