[VM] Problem with VM on Aquamacs 3.2 and 3.3dev

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: [VM] Problem with VM on Aquamacs 3.2 and 3.3dev
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 18:47:45 +0200

I was using VM (8.2.0b) on Aquamacs 3.0a on Mac OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).
Because this Aquamacs version often has problems with Emacs startup
(it often hangs and doesn't react nor show its windows as described in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx/7238), I switched to
the development version (Aquamacs 3.3dev) which purports to solve that
problem.

However, I now have an annoying problem with VM. With the new
Aquamacs version, when I read an HMTL email (usually multipart/mixed),
the cursor jumps to the end of the message rather than to the beginning.
This only happens when I work from the VM Summary buffer (using the next
and previous keys n and p). When I work from the VM Presentation buffer
it works as desired.

HTML messages are handled with emacs-w3m (via vm-w3m) in my setup. Pure
ASCII messages work normally. So I wonder if something has changed in
emacs-w3m, or in the calling of external processes in general. I tried
to switch to Aquamacs 3.2, but it had the same problem.

I have now found a hack around this problem: I advice the
vm-next-message function to do a vm-beginning-of message at the end.
(defun show-beginning-of-message (func &rest r)
  (save-selected-window
        (apply func r)
        (vm-beginning-of-message)))

(advice-add 'vm-next-message :around #'show-beginning-of-message)