Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:20:39 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> After way too many years to mention, I'm starting to think that
> viewmail is a dead project.  I can't do elisp programming, so it's
> probably time to move to mutt as my CLI based mail reader.

CLI = command line interface?

I agree it is unlikely that VM will last long. I don't know when it will
die. Probably when new RfC's will come along and we may not have the energy
to process the new kinds of messages. But, at the moment, it seems to work
fine.

> Well... it's a pain visiting IMAP vs plain folders, so now I have two
> sets of key bindings in message mode:
>
> v = visit folder
> i = visit IMAP folder
> w = save to IMAP folder
> s = save to folder
>
> which is just clunky.

My own key bindings are:

M-x imap = visit IMAP folder
i = save to IMAP folder

We could integrate the name space so that we could use one set of key
bindings. But would you really want to type something like

s imap://myaccount@thatserver/folder

> HTML email is just painful, esp since I like to hit 't' to expose the
> message headers, but now that's broken for html emails unless I do Shift-d
> a few times to change the message decoding.

This is a valid point. I think you are using emacs-w3m? emacs-w3m rebinds
the keys so that 't' means something else. But if you move into the headers
area, there the VM key bindings still work.

I will see what can be done about adjusting the emacs-w3m key bindings.
There is a bug report about it:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/vm/+bug/912531

but I have forgotten the details now. I will see if I can resurrect this.

> I'm sure this is all fixable, but not with my (total lack of) elisp
> skills.

Learning elisp itself is not a big deal, but we are dealing with many
different tools here and we have to know what is where and how to deal with
each. That isn't easy. I don't think this problem will go away with any
other mail client you switch to either.

Cheers,
Uday