www-tr-comm

Re: [www-tr-comm] Turkish Translation of Proprietary Software

From: The FLOSS Information
Subject: Re: [www-tr-comm] Turkish Translation of Proprietary Software
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 10:54:37 +0300

The FLOSS Information:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fs-translations.html
Proprietary Software: sahipli yazılım It is referred to as "sahipli yazılım" on Wikipedia. A Turkish-speaking FSF member calls it "özel mülk yazılım". https://tureng.com/tr/turkce-ingilizce/proprietary%20software Tureng called it "firmaya özel yazılım". If I were you, I'd trust Wikipedia. Commercial Software: ticari yazılım https://tureng.com/tr/turkce-ingilizce/commercial%20software You can easily use the term "ticari yazılım".

Richard Stallman:

  > Proprietary Software: sahipli yazılım

  > It is referred to as "sahipli yazılım" on Wikipedia. A Turkish-speaking FSF
  > member calls it "özel mülk yazılım".

  > Tureng called it "firmaya özel yazılım".

That page states the translations we recommend.
What Turkish translation should we recommend for this?

I don't know.  But we should not adopt other people's practices
without thought.  People are often confused about the concept and use
words for it that don't express the point well.

Indeed, the English word "proprietary" is not a very good word for the
concept.  I am looking for a better one.

The Spanish word "privativo" (meaning, tending to deprive people) is
much better -- but I can't find a good way to express that in English.

Can you please tell us (not just me) what "sahipli", "özel", "mülk"
and "firmaya" mean, individually?

The FLOSS Information:

SAHİPLİ
-----------

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sahipli English equivalent
/////////////////////////

https://www.seslisozluk.net/sahipli-nedir-ne-demek/ ÖZEL
-------

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C3%B6zel English equivalent
/////////////////////////

https://www.seslisozluk.net/%C3%B6zel-nedir-ne-demek/ MÜLK
--------

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C3%BClk English equivalent
/////////////////////////

https://www.seslisozluk.net/m%C3%BClk-nedir-ne-demek/ FİRMA
---------

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/firma#Turkish English equivalent
/////////////////////////

https://www.seslisozluk.net/firma-nedir-ne-demek/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERSONAL ADVICE
... I think this term may be "yoksunlaştırıcı yazılım". ... Additionally, you may have to edit articles on GNU.org.

Richard Stallman:

Based on your explanation of those four words, I think that none of
them is a good way to express the concept of nonfree software.  Partly
that is because "proprietary software" is also not a good way to
express that concept.  I adopted that expression in 1983 or 1984, when
I had not yet analyzed the concept clearly.

The right concept is, software that deprives the users of freedom,
software that subjugates them, software that gives someone else power
over them.

How do you suggest expressing that in Turkish?

  > I think this term may be "yoksunlaştırıcı yazılım".

What does yoksunlaştırıcı mean?

We study other words.

Richard Stallman:

In English I am thinking about adopting the phrase, "subjugatory
software", but I have not checked with a lot of people about how
they feel about that.

The FLOSS Information:

How is this term?
authoritarian software: otoriter yazılım

Richard Stallman:

  > How is this term?

  > authoritarian software: otoriter yazılım

The English term "authoritarian software" might be good.
I never tried that.

Have you tried asking Turkish speakers about "otoriter yazılım"?

I tried to summarize the subject. I hope you understand.