ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Macro Format

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Macro Format
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:04:43 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:
> Guido Draheim writes:
>
>  >> (a) Abandon XML altogether and go back to the @keyword
>  >> style of adding meta information. The HTML page
>  >> generated for your macro wouldn't look as good anymore
>  >> as it does now, but that's not exactly a major concern.
>
>  > That's a matter of parsing the content, the @description
>  > block is currently not expected to contain direct html
>  > text but one can easily enable that.
>
> Right. Technically that's no problem at all, the software
> would just "stop" quoting HTML specials, and then you could
> embed HTML into the description. The downside is that you'd
> have to write '&lt;' instead of '<' and '&amp;' instead of
> '&'.

Those escaped entities would be the case for the xml source
format as well - it would just be copied over. Anyway, I was
more thinking about adding a "limited set" of html markups
as formatting options for the @description text, just as it is
It would not be real xmlbased but just spiced up with more
markup options to preserve the intended presentation of the
original ac macro writer.

> And, of course, you'd have to deal with bogus HTML. ;-) The
> HTML pages we generate right now are _all_ perfectly valid.
> I'm not sure how much that's worth, though.

*giggle* yeah, perfect html is not too much, there are even a
bunch of htmltidy programs out there to help correcting the
usual omissions - using instead an xml output presentation
format along with a css stylesheet and a markup description
(i.e. semantic web), that'd be damn cool - and push the
world a bit ahead in time. Most browsers today can render
a good deal of a xml/css combination. I just don't know
much about gnu org guidelines however, may be it's forbidden
anyway *sigh*

>  > I won't like to see xml being abandoned altogether - it's
>  > a very good intermediate format that can combine many
>  > sources much more easily than trying to do it with a
>  > bunch of scripts.
>
> I agree. Also, XML allows us more sophisticated
> meta-information. One thing that has been missing ever since
> is the notion of "packages". XML also comes with all kinds
> of mechanisms to express cross-references and dependencies.

Well, I was extending the orginal submission format a bit to
allow more meta-information to be added - they all just take
the @format. Furthermore, I came to combine the information
in the macro with some info bits outside of the submission
to allow for things like "depracated" to be added or a
secondary category which one can not add right into the macro
text to maintain compatibility with the gnu ac archive. So,
well, most meta-information can also be added into a non-xml
based source format, it just requiries some extra parsing
routine which is the only downside of it.

> In case any cares, the DTD is here:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/dtd/acmacro1-xml.dtd
>

>  >> (b) Commit a pseudo-macro in the legacy tree that tells the
>  >> user to go to www.gnu.org/.../bnv_have_qt.html for the
>  >> real thing.
>
>  > Only if the text is being auto-generated from the xml
>  > source, ... as things would get out of sync sooner than
>  > later.
>
> No problem, I could mirror all XML macros into the legacy
> tree automatically. The only question is whether we'd want
> auto-generated files to be committed into the CVS tree,
> especially if they don't do anything. I wouldn't mind overly
> much, but it raises the question of how far we'd like to go
> to keep sf.net "in sync" with gnu.org. I'd much rather like
> to integrate sf.net's added features (like RPMs, etc.) into
> gnu.org, so that we don't need two archives any longer.

That is kind of a problem as noted below with the haskell
dependency. When speaking about packaging we should think
it to be more in terms of "third-party" developers like
distro makers that tend to download a source tarball, add
some configure hints and patches as needed for their distro,
and go to install/pack them. - Here we speak about compiling
the xml format into a derived format (a product of a build
process!) just to zip it up and call it the source tarball
which it is not for real. Ouch.

And, well, requiring haskell as a build tool will make it so
that virtually no distro maker will accept such a packaging
system. The other thing is: I am not only installing for
rpms but also on platforms like solaris, hpux, darwin, etc
and note that I came across quite some bsd-based platforms
that do not have gnu make preinstalled. I chose autoconf/
automake to get away with it.

>  > Yeah, it's a long story. Btw, where do you have the
>  > sources to the formatting engine of yours?
>
> I never released the engine because it's (a) written in
> Haskell and not many people could run that to begin with and
> (b) because of that long story we won't retell. ;-)
>
> If there is an interest, I could make the sources available.
> It's just a fairly complex installation, because you need a
> Haskell compiler, an SGML (or XML) parser, and lot's of
> secondary tools. So it may turn out to be quite an effort to
> set it up. I'd help where I can, naturally. It would be
> pretty cool to find someone who can regenerate and maintain
> the archive too, I have too little time to respond quickly
> more often than not. I'd be all for it. :-)

Well, atleast we would need to have a few non-haskell scripts
that allow to compile the xml-macro format into aclocal/m4
text. If we do have it then one can go ahead with packaging
anyhow - whatever sophisticated there may be else in your
complete presentation engine, we can make a cvs tarball snapshot,
and compile it up into an installable format without that
dependencies.

>  > As claimed earlier I am pretty unambitious about web
>  > presentation things with my focus being more on packaging
>  > and maintaining an `acinclude` tool.
>
> What changes would need to be made to the gnu.org archive to
> make your packaging tools work? I'd really like to provide
> better releases and a way to "install" the macros.

autoconf atleast (we can skip automake - the rules are not
all too complex). Some non-haskell generators to do xml-acmacro
to aclocal/m4 macro. Some build rules and doc texts, and I'd
throw in my `acinclude`. That's basically it. Perhaps some
discussion how to express obsoletion and such (which has stopped
in some intermediate stage a while back).

cheers,
-- guido                       http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ s+:a d(+-) r+@>+++ y++ 5++X-