ac-archive-maintainers

ax_obsolete (was: multiple @syntax)

From: Peter Simons
Subject: ax_obsolete (was: multiple @syntax)
Date: 24 Jan 2005 11:53:59 +0100

Tom Howard writes:

 > I'll finish the licence changes (there is a bit of a
 > backlog at the moment) and then look at this again.

Okay, cool!

 > dnl @synopsis AX_OBSOLETE(MACRO_NAME],[WHEN],[DETAILS],[REPLACEMENT])
 > AC_DEFUN([AX_OBSOLETE],[
 >      echo "Warning: $1 was made obsolete on $2"
 >      echo "$3"
 >      echo "Warning: Please replace with \'$4\'"
 > ])

Looks simple enough. It would be nice if that macro wrapped
AC_OBSOLETE to print the actual warning if that's possible.

 > and here is an example

 > AC_DEFUN([AX_FOOBAR],[
 > # whatever is in here
 > ])

 > AC_DEFUN([AC_FOOBAR],[
 > AX_OBSOLETE([AC_FOOBAR],[2005-01-24],[The Autoconf macro archive now
 > prefixes it's macros with AX_, rather than AC_.  This is in order to
 > prevent naming conflicts with macros from Autoconf.],[AX_FOOBAR])
 > AX_FOOBAR($1, $2, $3....)
 > ])

Very nice. I especially like the macro redirecting the call
to the new one. I notice, though, that you didn't agree with
my points about the obsoletion date being redundant here.
;-)

Peter