ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Tango

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Tango
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:48:38 +1100

Hi Peter,

Peter Simons wrote:
> Tom Howard writes:
>
>  > You know that Guido syncs from your cvs to try both
>  > archives in sync.
>
> That's bullshit, Tom. Guido copies the contents of my CVS
> repository into his own because I spend a lot of time
> maintaining the contents, not because he is trying to
> fulfill some greater ideal of "keeping the archives in
> synch".

Regardless of what you think is motives are you can't logically attack
his version of the macros since they originally come from your archive.
 You could try attacking him for not keeping them up to date, but I'm
afraid they that would be pointed back to you as well due to the recent
changes in the cvs layout.

> Or please explain why none of the macros he has gotten
> submitted to his private e-mail address ever showed up on
> gnu.org even though he has CVS commit rights here?
>
> How does that constitute "keeping in synch"?

Guido would need to explain this, not I.

>  > You know that the licence information has only just
>  > changed.
>
> Of course I know, because I did the work. All the while some
> other people were just having lofty discussions and making
> grand speeches about "what the archives needs".

Thank you for regarding my emails and grand :)

BTW, I've got the latest version of ac-archive from the cvs, I'm ready
to merge in the licence changes (as per your specifications).  Shall I
proceed, or will there be another nasty surprise for me when I go to commit?

> And it
> pisses me off that the very same people will now copy the
> result of my efforts and bad-mouth the GNU archive at the
> same time.

I don't know if you are referring to Guido or myself, if the latter,
then how am I copying the results of your efforts?

> It is perfectly valid according to the license, but it
> doesn't mean I have to feel great respect for the people who
> do it.

*sigh*, I don't think I respect your your concept of free software that
isn't free.

>  > What makes you think that once things are fixed the
>  > licensing information wont be synced as well?
>
> Oh, actually I am damn sure that once Guido has managed to
> customize his scripts to the sweeping changes, then sf.net
> will be copying the macros from gnu.org again. I never
> doubted that.
>
> But here is the good news: I've cooked up a
> "synchronization mechanism" for sf.net too. Which means,
> that anything that shows up on that site will show up on
> gnu.org a day later.

Good.  This is the way it should be (while there are two archives).

> Because of that the archives _are_ unified now. sf.net
> copies from gnu.org and gnu.org copies from sf.net. So that
> question is solved. And the best thing is that I didn't need
> to kiss anyone's ass to get it done. Pretty cool, eh?

Yes it is good, but I'm left scratching my head about the ass kissing
remark.

>  > At no point does it come across that Guido is trying to
>  > take credit for other peoples work [...].
>
> Good to know.
>

>  > I have no problem with you disagreeing with my ideas or
>  > those of others around here, but yesterday you attached
>  > me personally and now today you do the same to Guido.
>  > This is not acceptable behaviour.
>
> Check out this page: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrite>.

Excuse me.  I do not believe I have attacked you personally.  I have
disagreed with some of you choices and some of your behaviour, but at no
point that I am aware of have I attacked you personally.  If you feel I
have done so, I apologise in advance and please let me know and point me
to the message where it occurred.

The sole possible exception was when I questioned your sanity in my
attacked by Guido and myself.  Since the argument you put forward made
no logical sense, I'm afraid that question still stands.  Feel free to
let me know how this was a logical argument and I would be more than
happy to retract my statement and offer and apology.

Cheers,

- --
Tom Howard

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x433B299A