ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Tango

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Tango
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:13:41 +1100

Hi Peter,

On 27/01/2005, at 11:30 PM, Peter Simons wrote:

Tom Howard writes:

You know that Guido syncs from your cvs to try both
archives in sync.

That's bullshit, Tom.

Regardless of what you think is motives are you can't
logically attack his version of the macros since they
originally come from your archive.

I am not attacking Guido, I am attacking you for saying
something that is obviously bullshit. Not I am speculating
about Guido's motives, you are. I simply pointed out that
these motives you assert do not match the facts:

Let me re-phase: "You know that Guido syncs from your cvs to try keep his archive in sync with yours". It was not my intention to imply that he tries to keep yours in sync with his.

Or please explain why none of the macros he has gotten
submitted to his private e-mail address ever showed up
on gnu.org even though he has CVS commit rights here?

How does that constitute "keeping in synch"?

Guido would need to explain this, not I.

In that case, you shouldn't be making assertions about why
Guido does something or why not.

As above I retract that assertion as I did not intend to assert it.

BTW, I've got the latest version of ac-archive from the
cvs, I'm ready to merge in the licence changes (as per
your specifications). Shall I proceed, or will there be
another nasty surprise for me when I go to commit?

Yes, there is another nasty surprise: I have done it
already.

I have notice some changes, but they are incomplete. Would you like me to complete them or send you a list of the ones that need updating? I'm happy to do either, but I'm not sure if you trust me to do the former.

It is perfectly valid according to the license, but it
doesn't mean I have to feel great respect for the people
who do it.

*sigh*, I don't think I respect your your concept of free
software that isn't free.

I'll say more about that in the "license" thread.

Check out this page: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrite>.

Excuse me. I do not believe I have attacked you
personally.

Of course not. I must have imagined it. I apologize. By the
way: I've looked at the Automake stuff you've committed in
ac-archive-build. Holy shit, that is a lot of CRAP. I
understand you are involved in the Automake project in some
way? I am really wondering what use these guys have for
contributions of that spectacularly low quality. I have seen
monkeys put stuff together that made more sense than these
commits do.

Just to make things clear, I am not associated with the Automake project. I only say so as to avoid implying that I am, which a lack of a response to the above would do.

Please do NOT take this personally. I really don't mean to
attack you. I am just voicing my opinion that your work is
complete and utter crap. If you think I do that because I
want to attack you personally, then you are unreasonable and
won't listen to constructive criticism.

If you actually tell me why it's crap, I'll be able to take that it on board as constructive criticism as I fail to see anything constructive in the above two paragraphs.

If you feel I have done so, I apologise in advance and
please let me know and point me to the message where it
occurred.

It's pretty simple to recognize: Whenever you get the
impression that I am unfriendly and confrontational in my
replies, _then_ I have felt personally attacked. With that
in mind, it should be straight-forward to figure the
appropriate passages in the recent discussion out.

Judging by that, every time I've voiced my opinion, you have felt personally attacked. Without specifics (i.e. quotes) I'm afraid that I don't know how to express my opinions without you feeling it is a personal attack. Guidance on this matter would be appreciated. What is the correct form for voicing an opinion on this mailing list?

Cheers,

Tom Howard