access-activists

RE: [Access-activists] New member with a big project

From: Jamal Mazrui
Subject: RE: [Access-activists] New member with a big project
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:00:07 -0400

Thanks for the response.  I am confused then by the below excerpt from
the FAQ at the Eclipse web site.

What does it mean for a license to be "incompatible" with the GPL?  The
Eclipse Public License is an open source license, but presumably, it is
still problematic if GNU has officially deemed it to be incompatible.
Do incompatible licenses bring any additional restrictions as compared
to compatible licenses?  Is the resolution that BrailleBlaster has an
Apache 2 license that is GPL compatible?

How can a developer know that a project retains GPL compatibility?  I
thought it was by checking the discussion of specific licenses at
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

I thought that list is based on an application of the relevant freedom
principles.  If not, it would seem to be more of a subjective matter if
each developer has to decide whether the principles are satisfied in a
particular situation.

Jamal

>From the web page
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php

Are the Eclipse Public License (EPL) and the General Public License
(GPL) compatible?
The EPL and the GPL are not compatible in any combination where the
result would be considered either: (a) a  derivative work  (which
Eclipse interprets
consistent with the definition of that term in the U.S. Copyright Act )
or (b) a work  based on  the GPL code, as that phrase is used in the
GPLv2,
GPLv3
 or the
GPL FAQ
 as applicable. Further, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any
scenario where source code under those licenses are both the same source
code module.

Based upon the
position
 of the Free Software Foundation, you may not combine EPL and GPL code
in any scenario where linking exists between code made available under
those licenses.
The above applies to both GPL version 2 and GPL version 3.