accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Jason White
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:04:24 +1000

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> But since we cannot have the free replacement soon, this would mean
> developing programs that would, for the foreseeable future, only run
> on proprietary platforms.  We cannot even recommend such programs to
> people, let alone release them.

I agree. I think it is best to solve the hardest problem first. Once there is
a good, free as in freedom, speech recognizer, people can build applications
around it.

I would also argue that the notion of "economic freedom" as introduced in this
discussion is fundamentally misconceived and that it obscures important
distinctions. Economic injustice is an important problem, a daily reality for
a significant proportion of the global human population; but it happens not to
be the problem that the GNU Project and the FSF exist to solve.