Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Willem van der Walt
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:42:08 +0200 (SAST)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     The two most usable OCR engines that is free of cost, open-source and
> You mean cuneiform and tesseract-ocr, I think.  Are these programs
> free software?  You cited the definition of free software correctly.
> As a factual question, do these two programs fit it?
They do fit it to some extent.
Tesseract-ocr is released under the apache version 2 license.
Cuneiform does not state a specific license, but it is more BSD-like.  One
may basically do with it what you like as long as you keep the copyright
in tact.
As I read the license, one would be allowed to make modifications and sell
a binary-only copy if you like.

> Whether they are open source is not quite the same question.
> Most open source programs are free software, but there are exceptions
> because the two criteria are not the same.
> Whether they are available free of charge is simply beside the point.
> Adobe Flash Player is available free of charge, but it is proprietary
> and has malicious features.
>     run under Linux/UNIX
> When you say "Linux", I would guess you mean the GNU/Linux system.
> Linux alone is not sufficient to run applications -- it is just a
> kernel, and you need more than that.  Is that right?

> See for more explanation.
>                    is not released under the GNU GPL license,
> The GNU GPL is one among several free software licenses.  Programs
> which are not released under the GNU GPL may nonetheless be free.  If
> a program is released under a free software license which is not the
> GNU GPL, it is still ethical, so we may as well use it when it's
> useful.
Yes, but what I was trying to say is that if two programs exist with about
the same functionallity and the one is released under theGNU-GPL and the
other one under a license that permit distribution of binary-only copies,
I would rather use the one released under the GPL. > See
for a list of many known > free software licenses.

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.

and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their