Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:57:29 +0000

Benjamin Walther-Franks wrote:

> > Sorry to change the topic so quickly - what does the others think about
> > the situation with SDL? Kai, ZT, Cirrus, Ben, Nezu, Jol?
>
> Same as James I can't really say much to the issue, as my knowledge is yet
> too limited in this area.
>
> But maybe a general thing that might fit at this point (from what I gather
> from this discussion, and I didn't gather a lot...):
>
> If at this point there is the possibility of regarding far-spread platform
> compatibility (Yes, it's my vision, that in the distant future Adonthell
> might actually run on Mac OS, or even Window~) then certain decisions such as
> at SDL thing should be made in favour of far-spread compatibility. If you ge
> what i mean. I'm just trying to say that we should see to it that Adonthell
> runs on as many OS as possible, and we should consider it as early as
> possible.

If I understand correctly we're pretty close to a win port anyway, OS X
is being tried and so is Solaris. ..Palm anyone? :P

> It would just suck if we sit there in the end with everything completed, and
> suddenly notice that we can't transfer it to, for ex., Windows, because of a
> simple problem we didn't consider in the early stages...

True.
My non-expert understanding is that we won't have that problem!

Speaking of our graphics requirements don't forget that we'd want some
real-time colour manipulations for weather FX and such. Also I've been
wondering about spells and battles (Alex: Nooooooooo!) it would be neat
if we could have Adonthell generate some cool fx likes sparks and fire
works. Does anyone here know the G-Force visulisation plugin for XMMS /
WinAmp? Something like that layered on top of the map gfx would be
perfect IMO.

-James

--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821