Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:11:44 +0100

> > All characters will be able to fight, so all of them need at least
> > those attributes required by the combat system.
>
> Aren't there many NPCs who will never get the opportunity to fight,
> and thus don't need to be able to fight? What about NPCs in peaceful
> areas of the game like towns? Why would they ever fight?

If they are attacked by the player, I guess they need an opportunity to
defend themselves. That gives a bog freedom to the player, but it's all
relative: as killing key characters would ruin the story, I imagine we
can put sort of a milicia system in every town that the player can't
defeat - that is, if you break the story, you die! ;) But in some
places, killing non-important characters could just ruin your
reputation.

The idea is, that there is only *one* kind of character. Therefore they
must be able to perform equally. I hate the kind of games when you can
see that the programmers have used different classes for the different
kind of characters/objects. In Adonthell, we want to keep things as
logical and generic as possible - what differentiates a warrior from a
peasan, excepted the fact the warrior know better how to fight and has
the appropriate material? Even though 0.3 is limited, it already
implements this idea: there is no difference between the player and the
other characters, excepted that the player gets assigned a schedule that
reads keyboard inputs.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org