Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:37:40 +0100

> I'm a little dubious about this concept. Do we *really* want the
> player to be able to go around attacking anyone they choose to? E.g.
> in Wastes Edge, would we want the player to be able to just start
> attacking Silverhair, his mistress, immediately upon meeting her? Then
> some guards come in and kill him?
>
> I think it's reasonable to not let the player do anything that is far
> out of character like that. There's little point in giving the player
> the appearance of freedom by letting them attack everyone, but then
> making it that if they do they will have to face an unbeatable foe. It
> seems far too contrived in my humble opinion: I think it would be
> better to simply prevent fighting peaceful/friendly characters; at
> least important ones.

Yeah, I guess you're right on that one. I'd like as far as possible to
avoid the kind of stuff you can see in many games: your sword just go
through the character who doesn't get hurt. This makes nonsense and
would not fit very well with the engine design. On the other hand, my
proposal was a bit extreme, I agree. And we want the player to be able
to play the bad guys if he want so - so killing non-important characters
should be allowed IMO (say you kill the inn keeper - then the inn gets
closed and you have to find another place to sleep in next time as a
penalty, something like that). What to do for important characters
remains an open question. As they are not *that* numerous, maybe we
could make a different reaction for each of them.

> Also, do we want to allow NPCs/monsters to fight against each other?
> For instance, I think it would be pretty cool if the character could
> be wandering through a forest, fighting monsters, and run into some
> other NPCs who are doing the same thing.

Definitely. Technically, nothing would speak against that anyway.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org