[Adonthell-devel] Waste's Edge runnable with worldtest, but ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Waste's Edge runnable with worldtest, but ...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:20:57 +0100

Tada!

I've committed all the scripts and data files required to run what is
eventually going to be Waste's Edge with worldtest.

But here's the catch: as soon as you start moving, the screen turns
black. I've added some debugging output and it looks like the
character position gets changed to a strange value:

X Y Z
[...]
280 525 0
280 525 0
280 525 0
280 -2147483648 -5
280 -2147483648 -10
280 -2147483648 -15
[...]

Strange thing is, it only corrupts the Y value. Z will change because
there is no ground at that location, so the character will start
falling.

Wondering if it has to do with terrain types. The ground tiles I made
for Waste's Edge so far do not have a terrain type assigned. (Modeller
doesn't support that yet). OTOH, I think there's a sensible default in
place now, if no terrain type is given.

So is it an oldfashioned memory corruption? But why does it happen
with wastesedge, but neither data nor path? Data files are essentially
the same for all three of those?

Firing up the debugger now, but any insight will be appreciated :-).

Kai