Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Waste's Edge runnable with worldtest, but ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Waste's Edge runnable with worldtest, but ...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:37:23 +0100

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> That was it.  Thanks.  So, I ran the program and ran into the same issue.  I
> looked around a little bit and I think the issue is that we are not setting
> Speed in rpg::character.  I added the line:
> Speed = Base_Speed;
> in rpg::character::get_state, after the load of Base_Speed, and now it seems
> to run ok.  Not really sure if this is the issue, because it looks like the
> constructor should set it to a reasonable default, but I didn't look to
> closely.

Thanks Tyler! That solved the issue :-). And showed that there are at
least two more issues. Maybe those are some (very) small things to
start with.

> Hope this helps, and I'd like to start getting a little more involved also.
> I'll have to work on finding something small I can bite off and work on.

The first is entirely a code issue. Seems scrolling of the map is
broken as soon as the coordinates turn negative. You'll notice when
walking towards the left, the map stays stuck even though there's more
to come in that direction. Should be something in world::mapview.

The second issue is the shadow when going down the stairs. It appears
the shadow position is based on an object's global bounding box, not
the fine grained shape used for collision detection. Since the
staircase is a single object (unlike the one in the old test map,
which is one object per stair). So here we have two solutions:

Improve rendering of the shadow (although I fear this isn't a small
task) or updating the staircase object, so that each stair is an
individual sprite. Not sure if you want to get involved into gfx/model
creation, though ;-).

Other than that, there's some work on the GUI left: allow a
border/frame around (container) widgets and a tiled background. And
there are other things in the various open tasks to pick from:
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tasks:Contents

Plus minor things, like the issue when not specifying a game name on
the command line. (Although enforcing this might break a number of the
simpler test scripts, so maybe it would be better to default the last
component of the custom data directory to the game name if that is
omitted).

Cheers,

Kai