Re: [Adonthell-devel] Cleanup and some changes

From: Josh Glover
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Cleanup and some changes
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 06:17:32 +0000

On 25 March 2010 18:06, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> I modified the logging code you checked in a little. Hope you don't
> mind!

No, of course not! :)

> Basically, initialization is moved to adonthell::init_args, as
> that way we get logging for Python scripts and C++ programs.

OK, makes sense.

> Also removed the extra initialization in worldtest, as glog didn't
> like that at all.

Yeah, that was just a placeholder.

> Btw., I think glog is pretty neat. So far I only added logging for
> error cases, where the overhead didn't matter anyway. But with glog,
> it's possible to add logging where it's useful during development
> without ending up with a release that floods the user with useless
> debug output :-).

Yeah, I really like glog. I wrote my own logging library long ago, so
I know what features I want in a logger, and glog is so much better
than anything else out there that it is almost silly not to use it. :)

> Regarding the autoconf macros you checked in. I believe they should
> not be kept in the repository for at least two reasons:
> * They are products of ./autogen.sh, not "original" source files.
> * When running 'make dist', they end up in the package, so for end
> users that consume an official release, they will be part of the build
> tree, as suggested by autoconf.

Sure, that makes sense. I just followed the instructions that autoconf
spewed to shut it up.

> P.S.: Also changed the makefiles, in the hope that libtool will now
> link to the libs it just built, not to the ones previously installed.

OK, that would be great; I was having odd problems with that yesterday.

--
Cheers,
Josh