Re: [Adonthell-devel] Update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Update
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:09:21 +0100

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I pushed a couple commits, one updates CMake to work with glog.  Which
> raises a question, what is the status of CMake, should I not be using it to
> build?  Is it good for me to keep it up to date?  Or does no one care?

Please do that. I still use it to build on Windows and it could be
quite useful to create project files for various IDEs. As I said a
little earlier somewhere, the plan to move from autotools to CMake is
stuck somewhere half the way (for a number of reasons):

* cmakes 'make dist' is broken IMHO, at least when it gets to creating
source tarballs.
* the tools build has not been converted to cmake yet, and people have
experienced issues building tools against the cmake created engine.
* changes to a single cmakelist.txt file cause the whole 'configure'
step to rerun, which in turn triggers a full rebuild.

Otherwise, I find cmake faster and more flexible than autotools. so
I'd like to keep it around. Maybe some of the issues above have been
mitigated by recent versions ... haven't followed cmake development
closely for a while.

> The other commit 'fixes' the issues my last commit caused.  Rendering should
> work fine, along with collision detection.  However, I'm not 100% convinced
> it's right.  Basically I changed a few places so they get the same value
> they got before, but I'm not sure what they got before was correct.  So my
> plan with that is I'll write a few simple unit tests around those areas, and
> hopefully convince myself it's right, or come up with a better way.  My next
> step though is to take the patches for the bounding box changes, and get the
> new stairs working.

Great!

Kai