Re: [Adonthell-devel] Question about placeable

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Question about placeable
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:35:13 +0200

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Kai,
>
> One more question.  I wrote a bunch of unit tests, and was able to change
> the code to pass most of them.  However, I found that if the model being
> added does not contain, or border on the point (0, 0, 0) then we handle it
> all incorrectly.

Interesting. That's certainly something I did not anticipate :-).

> My question is, is this a valid test?  Or should/must an
> object touch the origin?

I can't see anything that would speak against that. Since models don't
really have a position, they can all be built to touch the origin.
However, it could happen that there are non-solid parts, so the
solid-only bboxes might not touch the origin. Hope that does not cause
problems.

> Should there be detection/error reporting if an
> item doesn't, or is that handled elsewhere (in the tools)?

It's not handled by the tools yet, as I wasn't aware that there are
issues. I can update modeller to make sure that the models it creates
are valid. Doesn't hinder anyone from editing the file afterwards,
however, so additional checks in the engine would be good. If it's not
too complicated, that is.

> For now I disabled the tests, and pushed the code because it's better than
> it was.

Good job! Wondering, since you are into all that code anyway, if you'd
have an interest at implementing map events once all this is complete:

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tasks:Map_Events

We'd probably have to talk a bit about the functionality we need (if
you're interested at all). Things handled via mapevents in v0.3 might
have to be handled differently now and it's more important to
replicate the functionality than the code. (Basically, it's an
"examine" function for mapobjects, used all over the place in Waste's
Edge. I.e. walk up to something, press space and the character will
utter a sentence or two about the object in question). Some related
thoughts can be found here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2010-01/msg00014.html

Anyway, that's something for later, but if might looks like being a
smaller, self-contained task, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Kai