Re: [Adonthell-general] wastedge timeline and roof.

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] wastedge timeline and roof.
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:58:31 +0200

2011/4/26 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

Hi Shirish,

this is going to be a bit brief, since it's getting late over here.
More details tomorrow, if necessary.

> Not a native English speaker so please.

Neither am I, so no worries! :-)

> 1. Is there a timeline when Wastedge or DW or whatever the name of the
> game would be would hit 0.4 ?

Unfortunately not. It seems whenever a timeline was set, it was way
too optimistic. It's really hard to estimate, with people having more
or less time to spare, going into hiding or turning up unexpectedly.

> 2. I have been reading the git log whenever things get updated but do
> not know how to see if what you say works or not.

It might help to also read the adonthell-devel mailing list. I usually
try to send an email to that list, whenever I've committed something,
and others often do the same:

Might want to do the same with adonthell-artwork, to get some
background for the commits that are related to media (mostly graphics,
but might also be music or such stuff):

> For instance :-
>
> in adonthell-tools git log shows the following (picked patch of git
> log, the latest one has  :-

[snip]

> Now how can I test it, some more info. which or what keyboard
> shortcuts have been implemented would be good. The only keyboard
> shortcuts I know are the arrow keys for movement of the bald guy.
> Nothing else.

All the commits that go to adonthell-tools are for the actual editors,
not for the engine itself. So nothing that goes there will affect
worldtest or consorts. The tools are to some extend described here:

    http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tools:Contents

Those without any content are not existing yet, the others are more or
less usable. To try them out, you'll have to build them separately.
The procedure is the same as for the engine, i.e. something like this

   cd adonthell-tools
   sh ./autogen.sh
   cd ..
   mkdir tools-build
   cd tools-build
   ../adonthell-tools/configure
   make
   sudo make install

> The second one is in wastesedge
[snip]
> The only thing I think WE has right now is the Redwynn Inn. I can go
> through the stairs and see the basement but have been unable to see
> the roof. I have tried to explore all but have been unsuccessful so
> far. The way I see is this :-

In that case, only the actual graphic files have been added to the repository.

They still need to be turned into models to be usable in-game and then
they need to be actually placed onto the map. That's basically what
the modeller and mapedit tools are used for.

To ease that process and actually get the artists to do the hard and
boring work -- but don't tell them ;-) -- I'm currently investing some
time to make the tools more comfortable and more complete, so that
eventually I can go back and concentrate on coding while somebody else
can do the actual world-building.

Kai