advocate

Fw: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Fw: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 10:58:15 -0700 (PDT)

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> I thought about a similar thing for videos, where I find it even more
>> difficult to do a conversion.
> Have you tried ffmpeg2theora?

Yep, I did that with a YouTube video once when my curiosity was stronger than
my dislike for unfree formats. ;-)

The sound ended up being completely out-of-sync with the pictures. While there
was a command-line switch for this, that's just what I mean by "more
difficult". It probably isn't impossible, although I never tried to convert
RealVideo (is that possible at all?), or Windows Media (???) or other dubious
formats. I can temporarily live with a free implementation of a patented
format, but I won't run a Windows codec DLL within mplayer or whatever the
state of the art is in this area.

> True, but as long as you follow DMCA safe harbor, you should be immune.

(Famous last words...)

Kind Regards,
M.F.

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.