advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Kudos to OGG advocate list + Suggestions

From: Gaveen Prabhasara
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Kudos to OGG advocate list + Suggestions
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:51:50 +0530

Hi All,

I'm glad to see the campaign of advocating OGG over non-free formats.
I've always liked ogg and happy that a reputed organization have
stepped up to advocate it. In fact I got and put a 'Play OGG' button
on my blog (http://gaveen.blogspot.com/)

Without thinking much I've put a tagline above the button saying
"Better than MP3" in my blog. It's been a couple of weeks and no one
made any comment about it, not yet. After some thought and after
seeing similar claims in the playogg.org site, I wonder it is legal,
or ethical to claim that OGG is better than MP3. I prefer OGG vastly
over MP3, but that's just my personal preference. I believe that a
techinical explanation should be available to go with the claim.

It's good to see a free media player like VLC media player listed on
the site. I'd like to suggest that we list a few more or provide
links to relevant lists such as
http://www.vorbis.com/software/ This is a non-exhaustive list media
players using OGG (OGG Vorbis, to be specific).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_media_players This can be
used to find more about players suppoting OGG formats. Being a huge
MPlayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/) fan, I have to suggest that other
media players should also be mentioned. :)

Just my suggestions, what say you? :)

Cheers,
Gav