Re: [Aspell-user] Arabic wordlist for aspell is available.

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Arabic wordlist for aspell is available.
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:43:13 +0200 (CEST)

Ethan Bradford wrote:

> Is there an Ispell for Arabic?  Do you know how to get to the
> source files?

I have no idea if Ispell works for Arabic.  I suppose the same
dictionary can be used both for aspell and ispell, that's how it
works for Swedish.  The advantage of aspell (for English) is that
it provides better suggestions than ispell for mistyped words.
I don't know whether this advantage applies to Swedish, and I was
asking whether it does for Arabic.

The advantage of ispell, as described by SuSE Linux' RPM packet
manager is: "Compared to UNIX spell, it is faster and much easier
to use. Ispell can also handle languages other than English."

This is like moving from the 1970s into the 1980s.  Wow, more
languages than English!  Who needs that?!  Do non-English speakers
know how to use computers?

As a comparison, aspell is described like this: "GNU Aspell is a
spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell. It can be
used as a library or as an independent spell checker. Its main
feature is that it does a much better job of coming up with
possible suggestions than just about any other spell checker
available for the English language, including Ispell and Microsoft
Word."

There is a Swedish dictionary for ispell, which is also used in
aspell.  I haven't heard that anybody has adjusted aspell's sound
matching system for Swedish, or produced any test suite based on
statistics from common misspellings, to evaluate whether aspell
for Swedish is any better than ispell for Swedish.

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)