Re: [AUCTeX-devel] forward search in pdf files

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] forward search in pdf files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:34:01 +0100

   David> Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
   >>
   >> Does anybody know about that subject?

   David> Something like srcltx.sty (a manual implementation of source
   David> specials) would be needed, and it would need to set anchors
   David> for every source line (every time an anchor for a particular
   David> line is placed, also anchors for all preceding lines up to
   David> the last anchor get placed).

I am confused, I thought it is like this

 srcltx.sty (via latex) source specials in dvi.
 vpe.sty (and vpe script) source specials in pdf.

Now inverse search from the pdf to the latex source is done by acrobat
reader (after having set appropriate editor environment
variable). (The same way as it is possible to do inverse search from
dvi to the latex source file).

The difference seems to me in forward search:
xdvi seems to have that functionality while I am not sure about the
pdf applications.

   David> Alternatively, just jumping to the page by trying to use
   David> some label mechanisms is conceivable (and/or some additional
   David> output routine code that registers the source/page
   David> correlation, even though it would tend to be off a bit).

But how, does there exist any commonly used pdf reader which allow
that sort of jump (for me a rough position on a page would be sufficient.)