[can't compile the main branch] (was: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from t

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [can't compile the main branch] (was: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 22:03:15 +0200

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, it's only "make" now.
> Am Di, 23. Apr 2024, um 20:56, schrieb Arash Esbati:
>> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I think we need to adapt our instructions.  To run straight from the
>>> clone, this seems to work fine:
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Repos/el/auctex")
>>> (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/loaddefs.el" nil t t)
>>
>> Thanks, this does the job.  Yes, we will have to adapt our instructions:
>> the way I see it the whole machinery around ./configure, make, and make
>> install will be gone, right?

I found an additional problem.

I pulled and switched to the main branch (I am using mercurial and the
hg-git plugin/converter/extension)

Then I run

Make clean

And make

And I obtain

fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
(cd doc; makeinfo -D rawfile --no-headers intro.texi --output -) >README
(cd doc; makeinfo -D rawfile --no-headers preview-readme.texi --output -) >>
README
sed -e 's|@lisppackagelispdir@|(file-name-directory load-file-name)|'\
    -e 's|@lisppackagedatadir@|(file-name-directory load-file-name)|'\
    -e 's|@lispautodir@|(if (file-writable-p "/usr/local/var/auctex")
"/usr/local/var/auctex" "~/.emacs.d/auctex")|'\
    -e 's|@AUCTEXVERSION@|.|'\
    -e 's|@AUCTEXDATE@||'\
    tex-site.el.in >tex-site.el
make: *** No rule to make target 'ChangeLog', needed by 'doc/version.texi'.
Stop.

Now why on earth should I have a git parent directory or directories?

There is also no configure option more, since I have various emacs
version installed (the one Ubuntu ships, the one or two I have compiled
from master (and which end up in /opt/emacs29 or /opt/emacs30)
So I have to to edit the makefile manually?

But the missing .git directory message seems serious

So I can't test anymore main/master

I also find the solution of deleting the «make install option» hm inconvenient.

Reason.

    1. I pull, make (and would to install)

    2. I would like to do some experiments (say starting a new style
       file) but now I am editing files of a repository I also use for
       my daily work. That does sound a bit dangerous.

Can't you leave the make install  option please.

Regards

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.