Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:01:25 +0200

> I use it with `emacs -Q ...` when I want to try and isolate a problem.

Thanks for the hint.  My approach to that for package `foo' until now
was:

(progn
  (package-initialize t)
  (package-activate 'foo))

> Indeed, usually `package-activate(-all)` performs those `load`s for the user.
> I was just pointing out that there's a pre-existing and very similar
> "convention" and that convention is slightly simpler for the users, so
> if it's not too cumbersome it might be worth following that convention
> (it's not very important, tho, so it's really up to the maintainers).

I think we're on the same page, but I wasn't clear: The one-liner you
sent is more appealing to me than what we have on the table now:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Repos/el/auctex")
  (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/loaddefs.el" nil t t)

By ugly I meant (load "loaddefs.el").  So my question was that for the
scenario "Start AUCTeX out of Git repo and not installed as an ELPA
package", if you have a pointer how to:

  • Get auctex-autoloads.el instead of loaddefs.el, and
  • Put the addition to `load-path' in that file, so the forms above
    turn into (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/auctex-autoloads" nil t t) as
    well?

I hope I could explain it better this time.

Best, Arash