Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-source-special problem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-source-special problem
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:13:55 +0200

Philippe Monroux <address@hidden> writes:

> Thus spoke David Kastrup <address@hidden> :
>
>> In this case, it sounds like you have your own old version of
>> TeX-command-list around.  The viewer entry _has_ to be ("View" "%V"
>> TeX-run-discard t t :help "Run Viewer")
>
> That's it. I had :
>
> ("View" "%V" TeX-run-silent t nil) in my ~/.emacs

Beware of Google.  I've seen you now wrote:

    dans TeX-command-list il fallait

    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard t t :help "Run Viewer")

    et j'avais :

    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-silent  t nil) un ancien truc  qui ne marche plus
    :o)

Actually, that ancien truc never worked for this purpose.  Here is the
difference between the two:

TeX-run-silent starts the viewer in a pipeline, and will collect its
output in a buffer which you can then access for more information.  If
the process detaches itself from the controlling terminal/tty, Emacs
will consider it finished and will remove the process.  Unfortunately
xdvi -sourceposition does exactly that: it detaches itself from the
tty if it is the first of its kind, and it connects to an existing
xdvi, tells it to go to a particular page, and then exists if it isn't
the first of its kind.

And that means that as soon as xdvi tries detaching itself from Emacs,
Emacs kills it.

On the other hand, starting with TeX-run-discard means that the output
gets directed to /dev/null, Emacs does not invest a tty and does not
bother looking at whether the process commits suicide or does anything
useful.

Now your change seems to be because you wanted the viewer not to
prompt.  You can still customize that if you want by starting with the
current definition and then doing

M-x customize-variable TeX-command-list RET

but let me also point out that you can start the viewer immediately by
using the C-c C-v sequence.  And of course: it is a good idea after
upgrading of AUCTeX to delete any customized settings of
TeX-command-list and restart from the new default setting: there are
often quite a few new items in there.