[AUCTeX] Re: footnote highlighting

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: footnote highlighting
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:44:10 +0100

> Oh, just noticed that I was writing nonsense.  Of course your
> suggestion would work.  I simply mixed this up with thoughts about
> moving the reference keywords in `font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes'
> further downward which would allow other keyword classes to overwrite
> the reference face.

> Anyway, another issue I have with the proposal is that I don't think
> footnotes alone warrant a new built-in keyword class.  If we do this
> for other LaTeX macros as well we'll soon have a keyword class
> inflation.  That means the suggestion about disabling selected classes
> of the built-in keyword classes would still be my favorite.

Yes, I can see the danger of keyword class inflation, but if one uses
footnotes extensively for citing historical sources and the like, as I
do, then a footnote class is at least as important as, for example, a
math-command class, actually more so as I don't use very much maths in
my work.  I appreciate that everyone has different ideas of what is
important, but I would have thought that many who need long textual
footnotes and who choose to use font-locking would prefer not to see
long footnotes with all the text rendered in the same colour.

Sorry for banging on about this excessively: I won't repeat the case
again.

Your suggestion would, of course, be a welcome solution if I haven't
been convincing enough.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway