Re: [AUCTeX] preview crashes

From: nusret
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview crashes
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:32:46 -0700 (PDT)

Alright, I now think this has nothing to do with any
specific tex file, nor with preview. Problem seems to
be a very nasty memory corruption, but I can't tell
whether it's an emacs thing or an auctex problem. Here
I attach a sample tex file: testmath.tex, which comes
with amsmath package. I believe it doesn't matter what
file you use. Just load the attached file in emacs
(you can use the precompiled bundle on your website:
it has the same problem). Do the following: Click on
the Latex menu exactly three times.Move mouse left and
right a few times and look at the menus popping up.
You'll see that boldface text in menu are corrupted.
Slightly different experiments show different
corruptions. Then in the text area keep clicking and
right clicking. Eventually one of two things will
happen: either emacs freezes and crashes, or it
crashes immediately without even a windows message
box.The error messages I get after some crashes
suggest that there are some nullpointer problems and
some other sorts of memory management related issues.
Please give it a try and see for yourself.
Regards,
Nusret

P.S. I use different and much more memory hungry
programs and none of them crash due to such problems.
I have 2 GB ram, so it cannot have anything to do with
paging. Since I have no other memory related symptoms,
I don't think my memory chips are broken either.