[AUCTeX] Adding commands to Command menu

From: David Scott
Subject: [AUCTeX] Adding commands to Command menu
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:48:11 +1300 (NZDT)

I have recently moved over from XEmacs to Emacs on a Windows XP.
I am using the prepared installation from Vincent Goulet available at http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

This uses Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) and AUCTeX 11.84.
It also includes the latest ESS and thus supplies pretty much all my needs.

I had modified by previous XEmacs installation by adding some items to the Command menu using:

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
'("ps2pdf" "ps2pdf12 %s.ps %s.pdf" TeX-run-command t t) t))

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
                '("gsview" "start %s.ps" TeX-run-shell t t) t))

The first of these works but the second simply creates cmd.exe window and fails to run gsview on the postscript file.

I am having a similar problem when I try and use Print when I have a postscript file or when I uses pdfTeX and then try and view the file: just the cmd.exe window appears but the viewer doesn't fire up.

I would also like to be able to use gsview to view pdf files rather than acrobat, but keep Acrobat Reader as my default viewer.

I tried

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
                '("gsviewpdf" "gsview32 %s.pdf" TeX-run-shell t t) t))

for this which gave me two problems: in the minibuffer I got

gsviewpdf command: gsview32 "myfile".pdf

which just gave an error. If I edited the command in the minibuffer to

gsview32 "myfile.pdf"

gsview fired up ok but I could no longer use Emacs.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

David Scott

David Scott     Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830         Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  address@hidden

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics