Re: [AUCTeX] psTricks and emacs

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] psTricks and emacs
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 17:07:47 +0200

* address@hidden (2010-07-31) writes:

> My problem: I want to use psTricks and know from TexnicCenter, that it is
> easy to get a pdf-file using ps2pdf.
>
> Best is a "Outputprofile", with four steps:
>
> latex %1
> dvips -o %1-pics.ps %1.dvi

AUCTeX will do call dvips and launch a Postscript viewer (in case
Windows is aware of one) once you do `C-c C-c View <RET>'.  You could
define your own view command to convert the Postscript file to PDF as
well.  See (info "(auctex)Starting Viewers") for a description of the
customization options.

> ps2pdf12 %1-pics.ps
> pdflatex %1.tex ,

Why the pdflatex call?

> This way you get your pdf-Document with one mouse-click.

Unless you need multiple LaTeX runs, a BibTeX run, or the like ...

> As you can see: I've tried to manage this with a batch-file and it works
> with a constant Filename (like "maindoc.tex"), but I don't know how to give
> the name of the actual buffer/file to %1.

A function call to give you the name of the master file without an
extension would be this:

(TeX-master-file nil t)

You could also add an entry to `TeX-command-list' which calls your batch
file.  See (info "(auctex)Selecting a Command") for an example on how to
do this.  This is a bit tricky, though, because you need to decide on an
appropriate process filter to keep the error parsing functionality of
AUCTeX and I don't know if e.g. `TeX-run-TeX' works well enough with a
batch file calling several commands.  So I'd suggest to rather use the
trick with the view command mentioned above.