Re: [AUCTeX] auctex cannot find kpsewhich

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] auctex cannot find kpsewhich
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:38:20 +0200

On 06/03/2012 10:19 AM, Marco Pessotto wrote:
> Denis Bitouzé <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Le dimanche 03/06/12 à 09h31,
>> Laurent Hoeltgen <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>>> (It's being added to the PATH in my .bashrc file in my home folder.
>>
>> I rather used the symlink option:
>>
>> http://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-280003.2.4
>>
>> and AFAIR I wasn't facing this problem.

Strange, I have installed TeXlive already several times but never
noticed the symlink option. This seems to be a comfortable way to get
around this problem. Might try it next time.

>>> Any ideas on how I can fix this?
>>
>> Maybe a poor workaround: start emacs from the command line?

Tried this. From the command line, everything seems to work.

> .bashrc is sourced only for interactive shells, not for login shells. So
> put a "if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then source $HOME/.bashrc ; fi" in
> $HOME/.bash_profile to source that for login shells (where you type
> "startx", and from where the environment is taken).
>
> If you're using a login manager, ask the google how to set the
> environment variables for it.
>
> Cheers

With a bit of googling and the hints of David Kastrup, I finally
inserted the following line in my .emacs:

(setq exec-path (append exec-path
'("/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/")))

which seems to do the trick.

Thanks for the help,
Laurent.