Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 22:56:00 +0100

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 21:48:34 +0100 Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 09:08:51PM +0100, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Thanks.  I ran it through XeLaTeX and that indeed output the composed
>> character correctly aligned, though the vertical positioning looks worse
>> to me than with pdflatex (see attached screenshots; text0.pdf is with
>> pdflatex and text1.pdf with xelatex).
>
> That may be a font issue. My preferred font is Linux Libertine, and as you can
> see in the attached image, things look a bit different: the accents on b are
> shifted slightly to the right so that they do not cross the ascender of the
> b. Compare with p, where the accents are placed more centrally over the
> letter.

You're right, it depends on the font used.  Though it seems strange that
pdflatex and xelatex display the combining circumflex accent differently
with the same font (assuming it was the same font, I just used whatever
the default was).

>> Also, to make this AUCTeX-related, after setting LaTeX-command to
>> xelatex and typing C-c C-c in the test1.tex buffer, the compilation
>> failed with the uninformative message "LaTeX: problems after [0] pages"
>> and no log output.  But running xelatex from the shell worked fine.  Is
>> there something else necessary to use XeLaTeX in AUCTeX?
>
> Have you checked the output of the TeX command with `C-c C-l` to see if
> there's a more informative message? I've been using XeLaTeX for so long that I
> don't remember if there's anything special I needed to configure. All I know
> is that I have `TeX-engine` set to `xetex`.

Thanks, that was it.  (Setting LaTeX-command was definitely wrong: it
resulted in AUCTeX trying to run "pdfxelatex".)

Steve Berman