Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 23:36:01 +0100

Le 08/11/2018 à 22:57, Stephen Berman a écrit :
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 21:50:42 +0100 jfbu <address@hidden> wrote:

Le 08/11/2018 à 21:10, Stephen Berman a écrit :
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:58:02 +0100 jfbu <address@hidden> wrote:

Le 08/11/2018 à 18:45, jfbu a écrit :
Le 08/11/2018 à 18:07, Stephen Berman a écrit :
I have a file containing such composed characters that I've imported to
a LaTeX file but in the output of pdflatex, the circumflex is displayed
over the character following the one it is composed with, e.g., the
sequence 'b^a' (where '^' means U+0302, the combining circumflex accent)
is displayed in Emacs with the circumflex over 'b' but in the PDF output
the circumflex is over 'a'.

Hi

I wanted to test your problem but I have another issue, which is that
typing

'xb M-x 8 <RET> 302 <RET>ac'

the 'a' gets superimposed on top of the b in my Emacs buffer:

(see attached image)

That's strange, and doesn't happen for me (see the screenshot in my
followup to Joost Kremers).  Does it also look like that in emacs -Q?
And what version of Emacs?

You are right the problem does not show if using

  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

So something in you initializations or some add-on must be causing it
causing that problem.

Indeed. I'll try to pinpoint source of problem another day.

It is a GNU Emacs 26.1

which is a binary build I got from

https://github.com/railwaycat/homebrew-emacsmacport/releases

(emacs-26.1-mac-7.1)

No problem either in the emacs 22 which I launch in a Terminal window (Mac OS X)

You mean no problem with your initializations?  Then I guess it's only
something that affects the graphical display (though I no nothing about
Emacs on Mac OS X).

yes no problem with my initializations, but my command line emacs 22
does not share the exact same initializations as my GUI Emacs, although
a lot is common

(I have a common .emacs which checks the version and then uses
suitable files from .emacs.d, for example custom.el for GUI Emacs versus
custom22.el for emacs 22; I stopped modifying these custom22.el and init22.el
years ago, but the ones for GUI Emacs continue evolving from time to
time. These days I am lazy and I have spent months now cursing my
fill-column setting which following last update to my Emacs binary seems to
be
at 70 per default in many modes, whereas I largely prefer 78 or 79 and had
it this way earlier,
but not time to dig into my Emacs initializations and why the mode-hooks do not
work as they used too so far)

I will try to pinpoint cause of combining character issue another day...
... as I never use combining Unicode characters to start with...

Jean-François