audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #853489] Missing videos

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #853489] Missing videos
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 20:26:37 +0200

Hello Jeanne and Romain.

On 2013-09-04 at 17:46, Jeanne Rasata via RT wrote:

>> Last week, I watched/downloaded some videos from :
>> http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/
>>
>> Some were in 2012/2013. However, today, the last ones are in 2011.

The mess depends on a mistake of mine.  I sincerely apologize.

I'm fixing it now, reproducing the state of video/index.html as of 26
August 2013; luckily I found a recent archive of it on the web.  If
there have been no more changes between August 26 and September 1st,
nothing will be lost (and in any case we're speaking of changes in
index.html: all the video files are still there).

Let me apologize again, and explain.  When making my changes (linking
GHM videos from the index), I initially assumed that the web page
content was stored on CVS, like on www.gnu.org (and like standards.texi
says, by the way), and automatically updated on commit; but, as I wrote
in my recent message to address@hidden
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/audio-video/2013-09/msg00003.html ) ,
I now think that audio-video.gnu.org is in fact updated by rsync only,
with the CVS version allowed to silently get out of date.  I made my
changes starting from the CVS version; committing to CVS did nothing to
the web page, so I used rsync to propagate the change; and that was the
point where I unintentionally destroyed the additions which had been
made (by others) to the web version on top of the CVS web version, which
was very out of date; I'm sorry.

I'm now working at fixing *both* the CVS version and the web page,
aligning them manually.  I'll reply to this message as soon as I'm done.

This need for manual alignment between them makes things fragile, as I
have written in my previous message; it should at least be documented.
Again, I volunteer to do it.  Would somebody please confirm that I have
understood the situation?

Thanks,

--
Luca Saiu