Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:20:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, David!

> I have found the offending statement :)

You are wonderful!

> if $ac_need_defaults; then
>   : ${CONFIG_FILES=$config_files}
> fi
>
> Before this CONFIG_FILES is blank and config_files has the list of files.
> After this CONFIG_FILES has tests/atconfig and nothing else!

I wish that somebody found it before. This is extremely important for
Autoconf developers and needs to be worked around as soon as possible.

> if $ac_need_defaults; then
>   CONFIG_FILES=$config_files
> fi
>
> Worked.
>
> I'm not sure this is real portable though :)

I think that the quotes around $config_files wouldn't hurt. Also you need
to check that CONFIG_FILES has not already been set.

Eureka, quotes! Could you please test this construct:

if $ac_need_defaults; then
  : ${CONFIG_FILES="$config_files"}
fi

> Makefile:142: warning: overriding commands for target `//1/tmp/autoconf/.'

This must be something QNX specific.

> cd //1/tmp/autoconf/. . . && /bin/sh //1/tmp/autoconf/missing autoconf
> substitution too long

Weird.

> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean"
> there first
> make: *** [config.status] Error 1

Wild, wonderful world of QNX! Obviously, configure thinks that it's a
build with $srcdir != .

There is such line in configure:

if test "`cd $srcdir && pwd`" != "`pwd`" && test -f $srcdir/config.status; then

Please play with it and find what $srcdir is, why "pwd" outputs different
directories (or is is "cd" that produces some noice?)

> Ah the joys of QNX - where should I start to look for solving this then?
> The Makefile or the recheck?

It doesn't matter. Everything should be fixed before Automake-2.50 can be
released.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin